Welcome to the Village of Lake Orion bidding and purchasing web page! The village primarily utilizes the Michigan Intergovernmental Trade Network (MITN) bid system for its purchasing needs when competitive bids, competitive quotes, or proposals are needed for the village to purchase goods or services. Vendors are required to register on the MITN bid system to submit bids, quotes, or proposals, and registration is free of charge.
MITN also provides a "value-added" optional automatic notification service for an annual fee that permits MITN to notify your company by E-mail automatically whenever a bid opportunity is available related to your company's products or services. This E-mail service covers bid opportunities for the Village of Lake Orion as well as all other public agencies which utilize MITN.
The village is required by charter to solicit competitive bids or proposals under policies established by the village council. Current policy requires that village administration:
From this web page, you can:
The village is also a member of the State of Michigan MiDEAL purchasing program and periodically waives local competitive bidding in favor of utilizing the state bids. Vendors are strongly encouraged to register with the MiDEAL program to ensure enhanced opportunities to do business with the village and other units of government.
CURRENT BID OPPORTUNITIES
LOW-VOLTAGE AND SECURITY SYSTEMS - VILLAGE HALL RENOVATION PROJECT - Bid advertisement posted on 08/08/2014; Bids due no later than Wednesday, 08/20/2014 at 12:00 noon.
The Village of Lake Orion Construction Board of Appeals hears appeals and renders and files decisions on matters related to the Michigan State Construction Code within thirty (30) days after submission of the appeal. The Construction Board of Appeals comprises five (5) members appointed by the Village Council who serve for two-year terms. Board members are compensated at the rate of $50.00 per meeting per member. Current board members are:
Steve J. AugerTerm Expires: 05/01/2015
Philip D. GentileTerm Expires: 01/01/2015
Richard HamiltonTerm Expires: 05/01/2015
Mike L. ReynoldsTerm Expires: 05/01/2015
Robert SmithTerm Expires: 05/01/2015
The Village and Township Building Official/Inspector is:
Randy McClureCharter Township of Orion2525 Joslyn RoadLake Orion, MI 48360(248) 391-0304 ext. 124
The Village of Lake Orion has a very historic past. One of the first settlers to arrive from Detroit was Nathan Hemingway, who arrived in 1828. He traveled on a road so rough it required two days journey to travel 26 miles. A year later, Philip Bigler and Jesse Decker arrived and purchased a tract of land, where they erected a dam to unite several lakes into one large body of water: Lake Orion. They also constructed a sawmill below the present dam site. The waters of the Paint Creek powered machines that cut logs into board lumber and ground wheat into flour that was critical to early settlers. In 1832 the sawmill was burned by vengeful Indians, angry because they were refused whiskey.
In 1844 the first schoolhouse was built on the corner of Church and Anderson Streets. This building is still standing and is now a private residence. In 1854 the name of the town was changed to Orion, though local wags continued to call it Dogway. Some historians have stated that Dogway was a contraction of Canandaigua. Others claim the town was overrun by a pack of stray dogs. Orion was incorporated into a Village in 1859.
When the railroad came in 1872, Orion took rapid strides forward. Travelers discovered the rare beauty of the Village surrounded by lakes. In 1874 a group of men purchased what was later to be called Park Island, constructing a bridge to the mainland, a dance hall, a viewing tower and an amphitheatre. Trains made four daily trips to the Village, bringing thousands of people to the area.
In 1884 a pagoda was erected over the Orion Mineral Spring by Harold Emmons. The water was claimed to be beneficial to the kidneys and the liver. In 1891 the Orion Improvement Company bought Spencer Island (Bellevue), where a hotel was erected.
The Village had three major fires in its downtown: 1862, 1874 and 1899. Each time, the town was almost completely destroyed. Each time residents re-built the town. In 1899 Orion had one and a half miles of sidewalk, a great feat for a small town. This year saw the greatest boom the Village had ever seen. Churches were attracted to the idea of a permanent spot for religious conventions. The Assembly Resort Association was formed, purchasing Bellevue Island and much of the shore property.
Park Island became an amusement center, complete with a roller coaster. In 1909 the Marine Postal Center was established, with mail delivered to over three hundred cottages on the lake and islands. Orion was the first town in the United States to have this service.
In 1919 Main Street was paved, and in 1927 a new school was built. In 1928 the name of the Village was officially changed from Orion to Lake Orion. A new well was added in 1930 to offset the dangers of fire, which had plagued the town so many times.
Present day Lake Orion is a mixture of the old and the new, conservative and progressive, fun and hard work. It has truly become a place “Where living is a vacation.”
Zoning is a method of land-use planning used by local governments in most developed countries. The word is derived from the practice of designating permitted uses of land based on mapped zones which separate one set of land uses from another. Zoning may be use-based (regulating the uses to which land may be put), or it may regulate building height, lot coverage, and similar characteristics, or some combination of these. Similar urban planning methods have dictated the use of various areas for particular purposes in many cities from ancient timesThe Village of Lake Orion is a zoned community. All buildings, structures, uses, and parcels of land must comply with the regulations set forth in the Village Zoning Ordinance, (link to Zoning Ordinance). A Zoning Compliance Permit is required for all new, changed, altered, or moved uses or occupancies of land or any buildings or structures, including excavations and construction. Contact the Village of Lake Orion Planning and Zoning Coordinator with Zoning questions and/or applications for Zoning Compliance, Building, Signs, Fences, Temporary Uses, Uses of Public Land, Excavating, Change of Use or Occupancy of Commercial Buildings, Site Plan / Special Land Use, Land Development, Rezoning or Variances from the Zoning Ordinance. Village of Lake OrionPlanning and Zoning Coordinator 37 E Flint StLake Orion Michigan 48362248.693.8391 x107248.693.5874 fax
SEND AN E-MAILPlanning & Zoning Coordinator is Mario Ortega
Office Hours: Tuesday and Thursday 9:00 am to 4:30 pm